Donald Trump, under siege over a video where he spoke about forcing women into sex, has fallen deeper into controversy following the release of new sexually explicit audio.
The latest recordings are from conversations with controversial radio host Howard Stern and feature Trump saying he “couldn’t care less” if he satisfies the women he sleeps with, that “it’s checkout time” once women reach the age of 35 and that he had engaged in three-way sex.
“Haven’t we all?” Trump told Stern in 2008. “Are we babies?”
According to The Washington Post, Trump described barging in on nude Miss Universe beauty pageant contestants in their dressing room, characterising his visits as inspections by the contest’s owner.
In previously reported tapes of Stern programs from the 1990s through this decade, Trump entertained discussion about whether he could have “nailed” Princess Diana, whether he would stay with his wife if she were disfigured in a car crash (“How do the breasts look?” Trump asked) and how often he had sex with his wife, Melania.
“Look, I like sex,” Trump said.
Would he have sex with women who were menstruating? Affirmative. Had he had sex with a black woman? “Well, it depends on what your definition of black is,” Trump said.
The new batch of recordings follow yesterday’s release of a 2005 video in which he made crude remarks about groping women.
Trump has since apologised for his behaviour, describing his comments as locker room banter.
In a chat about Trump’s daughter, Stern complimented Ivanka Trump’s looks and asked: “Can I say this? A piece of a–.”
“Yeah,” Trump responded.
Stern once asked Trump to define “the perfect date.”
“You meet at 7 for drinks,” Trump replied. “You promise to take her to dinner, but you never get there.”
The ABC’s Michael Vincent writes:
The Republican Party is in meltdown over the release of the video featuring Trump’s sexually aggressive comments:
Mr Trump’s allies on the Republican side of politics are no longer attempting to explain them away, as Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus recently did of the Trump-Alicia Machado mess.
Leaders from Utah to Alabama are calling on Mr Trump to leave the presidential race as the party grapples with the fallout from the vulgar and sexually-charged comments.
Within hours of the release of the comments from Mr Trump, Mr Priebus issued a withering, blunt, furious statement.
“No woman should ever be described in these terms or talked about in this manner. Ever,” he said.
Watch the incident below (warning: offensive language)
John McCain, the 2008 Republican nominee for president, is among those who have withdrawn their support.
Mr Trump was meant to appear with the most senior Republican in Congress, Speaker Paul Ryan, who was Mitt Romney’s 2012 vice presidential pick.
Mr Ryan and various other high-profile Republicans have refused to abandon their nominee, who has long faced criticism from within his own party, but never to this degree.
This was to be the first time — the very first — that Mr Trump and Paul Ryan would be seen in public together.
That didn’t even occur at the Republican Convention. Finally it would be an endorsement four weeks out from the actual election.
But the timing couldn’t have been worse.
Mr Ryan tweeted that he’d signed into law protections for sexual assault victims.
Now Donald Trump will not be going to the Wisconsin GOP Unity Rally to appear with a “sickened” Mr Ryan, who issued this statement:
“Women are to be championed and revered, not objectified … I hope Mr Trump treats this situation with the seriousness it deserves and works to demonstrate to the country that he has greater respect for women.”
— Paul Ryan (@SpeakerRyan) October 7, 2016
The other senior Republican in the Congress, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, has also been utterly reviled by the party’s nominee for president.
“These comments are repugnant and unacceptable in any circumstance,” he told NBC News.
“As the father of three daughters, I believe that Trump needs to directly apologise to women and girls everywhere, and take full responsibility for the utter lack of respect for women shown in his comments on that tape.”
Senior Republican Jason Chaffetz, who led the fight against Hillary Clinton as Chairman of the House Committee on Oversight, has now reportedly withdrawn his endorsement of Mr Trump.
Republicans are stuck in Trump ‘nightmare’
This is serious — this is a political nightmare.
Mr Trump may have offended half the voting population of the United States, at least.
The one man we haven’t yet heard from is Indiana Governor, Trump defender-in-chief and vice presidential nominee Mike Pence.
Mr Pence is a deeply, profoundly religious man who has been at pains to explain away Mr Trump’s outrageous rhetoric at every turn — he’s now silent.
Just this week evangelical pastors laid their hands on Mr Trump and prayed with him at the International Church of Las Vegas.
He promised to uphold and defend their cherished Christian values as President. How will those religious Republicans feel now?
As the grandfather of two precious girls, I find that no apology can excuse away Donald Trump's reprehensible comments degrading women.
— Jeb Bush (@JebBush) October 7, 2016
Jeb Bush, John Kasich and multiple moderates who have been furious that Donald Trump was attempting to “insult his way to the White House” are now tweeting their fury as well.
But the party is stuck.
Mr Trump’s name is on the ballot in every one of the 50 states.
“Nearly all the ballots have been printed,” according to Ballotpedia and early voting is already underway in some states.
The best they can hope for now is to siphon millions of dollars they were going to allocate to his campaign and try and salvage their control of the Congress.
They would achieve this by directing that money into the campaigns of senators and representatives, before so-called down ballot positions that are also decided on November 8.
Watch Trump’s apology video below:
What now for Trump?
For Mr Trump there are very few options left to him. Can you imagine him giving a soul-bearing, prime-time TV broadcast mea culpa a la Jimmy Swaggart?
No, neither can I.
Watch US evangelist Jimmy Swaggart’s apology for consorting with a prostitute:
Mr Trump has tried weathering the storm and failed. He has tried doubling down and failed. The only tactic he’s yet to try is quitting, but that is because his brand is synonymous with “winning”.
“We’re going to win so much, you’re going to be so sick and tired of winning,” he said.
Now his fellow Republicans and Americans are just sick and tired of his scandals.
– ABC, with The New Daily