News World More possible debris sent to MH370 experts
Updated:

More possible debris sent to MH370 experts

mh370
Australian authorities have confirmed the search area does not contain the missing plane. Photo: Getty
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Three new pieces of possible plane debris have been found and are of interest in the investigation into the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester says the two pieces were found in Mauritius and Mozambique.

“These items of debris are of interest and will be examined by experts,” Mr Chester said in a statement on Thursday.

‘Diminishing’ confidence MH370 will be found
• Fragments ‘almost certainly’ from MH370
• Lost MH370 search tool found on sea floor

“The Malaysian government is yet to take custody of the items, however as with previous items, Malaysian officials are arranging collection and it is expected the items will be brought to Australia for examination.”

Five other pieces of debris – from South Africa, Rodrigues Island, Mozambique and Reunion Island – have so far been all but confirmed as being from the plane.

rolls royce debris mh370
The Rolls Royce logo indicated the debris was from the cowling, or engine covering. Photo: ATSB

The Boeing 777 aircraft disappeared in March 2014 with 239 people on board, including six Australians.

In the latest search update released on Wednesday, the Joint Agency Co-ordination Centre said winter weather conditions were continuing to bring rough seas and strong winds to the search area in the southern Indian Ocean, affecting operations.

The vessels Fugro Discovery and Dong Hai Jiu 101 remain on standby, while the Fugro Equator has not been able to undertake deep tow search activities and has instead been doing bathymetric surveys.

More than 105,000sq km of the 120,000sq km search zone have been looked at.

The governments of Malaysia, Australia and China maintain the search area will not be expanded beyond the current zone in the absence of credible new information.

The underwater search is expected to be completed around July or August.

A media report earlier this week suggested Nanhai Rescue Bureau from China’s Ministry of Transport may continue the search for MH370, having ordered deep-tow systems.

But an Australian Transport Safety Bureau spokesman told AAP that had been denied by Chinese officials.

Comments
View Comments