News World Names of victims released
Updated:

Names of victims released

jarrod burguan
AAP
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

The 14 victims of the San Bernardino massacre have been released by the County Sheriff’s department.

The youngest of those killed was Aurora Godoy, 26, while the oldest was Isaac Amanios, 60. Click the owl to see all the names of those slain.  

Sheriff John McMahon from the San Bernardino Sheriff’s department said the coroner had completed its on-scene investigation and had begun to notify families of the victims.

• Suspects identified in deadly attack at California disability centre
• America’s year of mass shootings
• BBC on shootings: ‘Just another day in the USA’
• What is the Inland Regional Centre

“This shooting has caused each victims family, friends and co-workers, along with the first responders, to suffer an enormous personal tragedy,” Mr McMahon said.

Nicholas Thalasinos was a co-worker of Farook's. His wife, Jennifer (pictured), confirmed his death on Facebook.
Nicholas Thalasinos was a co-worker of Farook’s. His wife, Jennifer (pictured), confirmed his death on Facebook. Photo: Twitter

“We must stand strong and offer support to each individual affected by this senseless attack.”

Earlier, authorities revealed the suspected San Bernardino shooters fired up to 75 rounds of ammunition into their work Christmas party.

They also said the wounded toll had risen to 21 after Thursday’s (AEST) sickening massacre.

Married couple Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik targeted the former’s work Christmas gathering, which they had previously left after an argument, in the shooting.

The FBI also revealed the couple had enough ammunition and explosives stockpiled in their home to carry out another attack.

And it was confirmed that the black SUV used by the pair as a getaway vehicle was rented just four days earlier.

The link between Farook and Malik and the vehicle drew police to their home, which the pair slowly drove past before speeding off – sparking police attention and an eventual shootout.

The assailants fired a further 76 rounds of ammunition in the stand-off, while police were forced to discharge 300 rounds at the pair, who died as a result.

Bennetta Betbadal, 46, (back) an environmental health specialist was eager to deliver a presentation to her colleagues at their meeting at the Inland Regional Center.
Bennetta Betbadal, 46, (back), an environmental health specialist, was eager to deliver a presentation to her colleagues at the Inland Regional Center. Photo: Twitter

One police officer was injured and taken to hospital with minor injuries.

Both CNN and The New York Times reported that at least Farook – who allegedly met his wife in Saudi Arabia – was radicalised and had links to Islamic extremism.

However, the FBI refused to label the investigation as terrorism-related for now.

“Nobody just gets upset at a party and goes home and plans an attack like that,” local police chief Jarrod Burguan said.

“This is a pretty resilient community. We will survive this.”

The FBI’s deputy Los Angeles chief, David Bowdich, told media that there was a real possibility that the couple had more targets in their sights, given the amount of weaponry they had, and the planning that had been done.

“We don’t know if this [the Christmas party] was the intended target or if there was something that triggered him to do this immediately,” Mr Bowdich said.

He said the FBI could not yet speculate on motives for the attack, but accepted nothing was being ruled out.

Comments
View Comments