News World Anti-ISIL fighter Mitchell Scott ‘will sacrifice life’

Anti-ISIL fighter Mitchell Scott ‘will sacrifice life’

A Facebook photo of Ashley Dyball, aka Mitchell Scott, reportedly fighting ISIL.
Facebook
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

A Brisbane man fighting Islamic State (ISIL) in Syria and Iraq says he will sacrifice his life to save the innocent lives of civilians.

Ashley Dyball, aka ‘Mitchell Scott’, posted a message on his Facebook page on Wednesday declaring he didn’t care if he never came home again, because he wanted to help “liberate the innocent children and women to give them a better chance at life”.

The 23-year-old reportedly left Australia in May to fight against ISIL militants.

• Sydney woman leaves children, joins Islamic State
• New frontbench role to fight ‘radicalisation’
• Ex-diplomat named terror chief

Mr Dyball’s post also said he had limited time to write the message.

“This is my life my decision, I can sit at home doing nothing with myself or i (sic) can stay here and help,” he wrote.

“Don’t believe the media they’re a bunch of headline grabbing morons, don’t believe anything unless its from me.”

mitchellscott-110615-thenewdaily

The Courier-Mail reported last week that Mr Dyball had a $150,000 bounty on his head, with cashed-up ISIL terrorists targeting foreign fighters aligned with the Kurdish militia.

Mr Dyball had taken up arms with about 100 Westerners fighting ISIL in Syria and Iraq, with Kurdish People’s Protection (YPG) units,” it reported.

The group was part of a special foreign fighter group known as the Lions of Rojava, which revealed details of the death cult bounty on its Facebook page.

Another post on Mr Dyball’s Facebook page from May 28, featuring an image of him dressed in camouflage gear and holding an assault rifle, said: “No news is good news. Miss everyone from home hope your (sic) all well #YPG #F***THEISLAMICSTATE”.

According to reports, Mr Dyball made Facebook posts advising he was headed for the frontline.
Mr Dyball made Facebook posts in May advising he was headed for the frontline. Photo: Twitter

This comes as about 25 countries will attend the Countering Violent Extremism summit in Sydney on Thursday, to stem the flow of disenchanted youths becoming radicalised and joining terror groups such as ISIL.

Attorney-General George Brandis told the Nine Network that online enlistment continued to grow and was one of the most dangerous aspects of terrorism recruiting.

“No doubt at all it is aimed at the young,” Mr Brandis said.

“One of the most disturbing trends we are seeing is the focus on teenagers, people as young as 14 have been ensnared by Daesh or ISIL, and by its operatives ISIL.”

While many top representatives from Australia’s regional neighbours will attend the summit, one exception was Indonesia, who would not be sending ministerial-level representation.

“Initially the Indonesian minister was attending, and domestic reasons made it necessary for him to withdraw at the last moment,” Mr Brandis said.

“We are very satisfied and pleased with the degree of commitment that Indonesia, like our other regional partners and neighbours, have shown to this summit.”

Prime Minister Tony Abbott will open the two-day conference, addressed by Foreign Minister Julie Bishop and chaired by Mr Brandis.

with AAP

Comments
View Comments