News World Paris suspect hands himself in: reports
Updated:

Paris suspect hands himself in: reports

Paris shooting gunmen
AAP
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

The youngest of the three suspects wanted for questioning over a deadly shooting at Paris magazine Charlie Hebdo on Wednesday has handed himself in to police.

French newspaper Le Figaro said the man handed himself in around 11pm on Wednesday in Charleville-Mézières, Ardenne, after “having seen his name circulating on social media networks”.

• Paris gunmen evade police, still on the loose
• World leaders condemn ‘sickening’ Paris shooting
• Deadly attack at Paris magazine, at least 12 dead

It was reported he had been arrested and placed under guard.

Police say two suspects remain at large: Said Kouachi and Cherif Kouachi, aged 32 and 34.

Warrants have been issued for their arrest, with police describing them as “armed and dangerous”.

The Franco-Algerian brothers, who were born in Paris, reportedly fought in Syria before returning to France last year.

Cherif Kouachi is already known to police after being arrested in 2005 on terror related charges.

He was sentenced to three years in prison for being part of a network which sent jihadists to Iraq.

There are reports that French special forces police are undertaking a large operation in the city of Reims, 120km from Paris.

Earlier, chilling amateur video, filmed by onlookers from nearby balconies and rooftops, shows the gunmen making their escape after the terrifying attack.

WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEO

[display-jwplayer playerwidth=”100%” playervideourl=”/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Paris-Wi-Fi-Low.mp4″ playervideoimage=”/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/paris-shooting.png”]

Deadly Paris attack

Chilling footage of the gunmen making their escape.

Police have named 42-year-old Muslim policeman Ahmed Merabet as one of the two officers killed in Wednesday’s attack on the satirical magazine.

Merabet was seen in videos being killed at point-blank range by the terrorists.

He was a patrolman assigned to the 11th arrondissement – the Paris neighbourhood where Charlie Hebdo’s office is located.

French President Francois Hollande gave a brief address in the aftermath of the attack.

“Nothing can divide us, nothing can separate us,” he said.

“We will win. Nothing will make us renounce our determination. Long live the republic. Long live France.”

Comments
View Comments