A Russian blogger has captured and shared video footage of what could be the missile system responsible for the MH17 disaster being smuggled back over the Russia-Ukraine border.
The footage, captured on the “border area” of Russia on Saturday night, shows a military truck transporting a large, covered piece of cargo along a main road.
The video was seized by Ukrainian officials after it was uploaded online.
According to the Daily Mail, the footage is being described by Ukrainian sources as “film of the BUK, the one that shot the Boeing”.
A Buk-M1 is a Soviet-designed type of surface-to-air missile with a range of around 46,000 feet.
The doomed Malaysia Airlines plane was travelling 33,000 feet above ground when it was believed to have been shot down by a missile, crashing in rural separatist-controlled eastern Ukraine killing all 298 on board.
Another video, filmed by a police surveillance squad on Friday morning and obtained by the Ukrainian Interior Ministry, allegedly shows a truck carrying a Buk missile launcher with one of its four missiles missing.
Other social media users have also shared their own amateur footage purporting to show a large military vehicle travelling down a main road following Thursday’s crash:
The varied footage of the alleged missile was released just as US Secretary of State John Kerry accused Moscow of providing Ukrainian separatists with a “SA-11 system” – another name for the Buk missile system.
“It’s pretty clear that this is a system that was transferred from Russia in the hands of separatists,” Mr Kerry told CNN, saying that the sophisticated system had been used in Thursday’s crash.
“We know with confidence that the Ukrainians did not have such a system anywhere near the vicinity at that point in time. So it obviously points a very clear finger at the separatists.”
The top US diplomat also slammed disturbing scenes at the crash site where he said rebels were hampering the investigation and the proper removal of bodies of the 298 crash victims.
Kerry laid out US evidence which he said pointed to the involvement of the separatists in Thursday’s horrific crash saying Washington had “extraordinary circumstantial evidence”.
“We picked up the imagery of this launch. We know the trajectory,” he told NBC’s Meet the Press.
“We know where it came from. We know the timing.”
“And it was exactly at the time that this aircraft disappeared from the radar. We also know, from voice identification, that the separatists were bragging about shooting it down afterwards.”
What was now happening at the crash site where international investigators have only had limited access was “really grotesque”, Kerry said.
“There are reports of drunken separatist soldiers unceremoniously piling bodies into trucks, removing both bodies, as well as evidence, from the site,” Kerry alleged.
The US secretary of state renewed calls to Putin to step up and pressure the rebels to allow unfettered access to the site.
“It is clear that Russia supports the separatists, supplies the separatists, encourages the separatists, trains the separatists. And Russia needs to step up and make a difference here,” he added on NBC.