Weird and wonderful
• Japanese scientists have unveiled what they say is the world’s first news-reading android, eerily lifelike and possessing a sense of humour to match her perfect language skills.
• Colourful Latvian 12th seed Ernests Gulbis thought gives bizarre response at Wimbledon press conference.
The big stories
• Rebekah Brooks faces having to rebuild her career after a high-profile trial in which her methods and reputation faced intense scrutiny.
• President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi says Egypt’s authorities “will not interfere in judicial matters” a day after three Al-Jazeera journalists, including Australian Peter Greste, were jailed for between seven and 10 years.
• Student survivors of South Korea’s ferry disaster will testify in the trial of the captain and crew in a special session at a courtroom in their traumatised home town, a district court has ruled.