News World SAS ‘not involved’ In Diana’s death

SAS ‘not involved’ In Diana’s death

Princess Diana
Getty
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

New UK police inquiries have rejected suggestions that the SAS was involved in the deaths of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Fayed.

It emerged in August that the police were looking at claims that the couple were murdered by a member of the British military.

Scotland Yard said it was “scoping” the information and “assessing its relevance and credibility”.

It was understood the allegation was made by the former parents-in-law of a former soldier based on information that the ex-soldier talked about in the past, according to a military source.

Scotland Yard said in a statement on Monday that the “scoping exercise” had been completed.

“Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley wrote to all parties and provided them with a summary report of the scoping exercise.

“In that letter AC Rowley made an undertaking that in order for them to consider the report, the MPS would not make a formal statement until Tuesday, 17 December.”

However, Sky News reported that the Metropolitan Police had said there was “no credible evidence” the SAS was involved.

The network said it had obtained a letter written by AC Rowley which said that “whilst there is a possibility that the alleged comments in relation to the SAS’s involvement in the death may have been made, there is no credible or relevant evidence to support a theory that such claims had any basis in fact”.

“Having reviewed the exercise and its findings, I am satisfied that there is no evidential basis upon which therefore to reopen any criminal homicide investigation or refer the matter back to the coroner.

Diana, Dodi and chauffeur Henri Paul died after their Mercedes crashed in a Paris tunnel after leaving the Ritz Hotel on the morning of August 31 1997.