News State Western Australia News Uber driver pleads not guilty over sex assault

Uber driver pleads not guilty over sex assault

Uber was launched in Perth early in 2015.
ABC
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

A 51-year-old Uber driver has pleaded not guilty in a Perth court to indecently assaulting a female passenger.

Police allege the assault happened after registered Uber driver Zeljko Koncarevic collected the woman, aged 20, from a home in a suburb south of Perth at 11:15pm on Saturday June 27.

Koncarevic, from Scarborough, has been changed with unlawful and indecent assault following an investigation by Sex Assault Squad detectives.

• Uber accused of ‘spying’ on passengers
• Why you should never, ever use UberX
• Anti-Uber protests turn ugly

The Perth Magistrates Court was told the alleged victim, who cannot be identified, is from a high-profile family.

Koncarevic had his bail renewed and will go to trial next year.

The Department of Transport previously confirmed the man had also worked as a taxi driver.

Uber said Koncarevic was an accredited hire car driver who had undergone full criminal and driving history background checks by the department.

The ride-sharing company said it removed Koncarevic from the service after the allegations were made.

ABC

Comments
View Comments