News State Victoria News Fugitive charged after two-year hunt: Police probe whether Jonathan Dick was stalking friend

Fugitive charged after two-year hunt: Police probe whether Jonathan Dick was stalking friend

Jonathan Dick was arrested near Hosier Lane in Melbourne.
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

One of Australia’s most-wanted fugitives may have been stalking his friend before a city scuffle that has ended a two-year manhunt for the suspected killer, police believe.

The New Daily can reveal police are probing whether Jonathan Dick was monitoring the old school friend whom he had also allegedly attacked almost a year ago to the day.

Mr Dick, 41, was on Monday night charged with the 2017 samurai sword slashing murder of his brother David at a Westfield shopping centre in Melbourne.

Keilor father David Cammarata had not seen his old school mate Jonathan Dick for years before he was hit in the head in August 2018.

On August 23 last year, the wanted man unexpectedly emerged in the Melbourne suburb of Keilor – the first sighting of him since his brother’s death – but fled before police arrived.

David Cammarata, 38, was smashed in the head with a hammer but fought back and was able to identify his attacker. He told detectives it was his former schoolmate and family friend Mr Dick.

The victim’s young children and wife were at home at the time of the bloody attack, which traumatised the family.

Victoria Police is considering the theory that Mr Cammarata, a jewellery business owner, has since been watched by Mr Dick.

The victim had been on the way to work in the city on Monday morning accompanied by a friend. It’s understood he had been worried that Mr Dick had been following him for some time, and had been careful to not be left alone.

The New Daily can also reveal police have been searching near a park in an inner-northern suburb for evidence of how Mr Dick has been living undetected while avoiding capture for more than two years.

Monday’s dramatic CBD arrest brings to an end a massive statewide hunt since the body of David Dick was discovered in the car park of the Doncaster shopping centre.

The accused’s distressed mother, Carol Cloke, has requested to visit him in a bid to find answers into the shocking stabbing death of her younger son, who died aged 36.

Mr Dick is expected to face court on Monday night where police will discuss any health issues or risks in custody, and oppose bail.

Dramatic arrest in Melbourne CBD

Police arrived at the car park on the corner of Flinders Street and Hosier Lane shortly before 7.50am after reports two men had restrained a third.

jonathan dick arrested
A supplied image of Mr Dick from CCTV footage. Photo: AAP

Following the scuffle, a red-handled, curved knife and what looked like blood could be seen on the ground in the car park entrance.

Monday morning’s arrest came after television footage showed a man wearing a hooded jumper sitting against a wall, his face covered in blood.

In the cordoned-off laneway, a bike and helmet lay on the road alongside a bucket.

Mr Dick’s mother said she was grateful her surviving son had been found alive after his bloody citizen’s arrest.

“I’m overwhelmed by the news this morning that my son has been found. All I ever wanted was for him to be found alive and I feel comfort in that,” Carol Cloke said in a statement on Monday.

Jonathan Dick is driven into Police Headquarters after his arrest in Melbourne. Photo: AAP

Ms Cloke thanked the friends, family and police who had supported her through the two and a half years since David’s death.

“I have never felt alone during this because of their support,” she said.

David Dick was killed with a sword as he walked out of a lift in the shopping centre car park early on a Friday in February 2017. He was on his way to a bus bus stop to go to work.

Members of a gym group found David bleeding to death in the lift lobby within minutes but were unable to save him. He died at the scene.

Shortly afterwards, his family watched CCTV footage of the attack but did not recognise Jonathan.

The devastated family pleaded for Jonathan to give himself up.

On Monday, a woman who lives in an apartment above the Hosier Lane crime scene said she was shocked to find police outside her door.

“I literally came out the front door and had absolutely no idea (what had happened), and saw the policewoman in our front door and was just like ‘What’s going on?’,” Alison Fairly said.

“I’ve lived in that building for 12 years and I’ve never seen a police presence like that. And it’s a pretty busy laneway.”

Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton commended the trio who captured Mr Dick and said they may be considered for the $100,000 reward offered for his apprehension.

“We’re grateful that they weren’t significantly injured in that process. It seems that he was known to one of the people that have been part of that arrest,” Mr Ashton said.

“We strongly believe that he represented a significant risk to community safety while he was out and about.

“He didn’t rely on his regular network of people that we knew about. (It) seems as though in recent times he’s been sleeping rough and that’s made the task even more challenging.”

Police had repeatedly released CCTV of Mr Dick to try to find him, as well as photos of his tattoos: A Wolverine versus Sabretooth tattoo on his right thigh, and an Incredible Hulk tattoo on his left calf.

After his arrest, Mr Dick was taken to hospital under police guard.

Two other men injured in the incident were helping police with the investigation.

Part of Hosier Lane and the neighbouring car park remained taped off as police investigated.

-with AAP