An unnamed Greens candidate has been accused of “serious sexual misconduct” just two days before the Victorian election.
The unnamed candidate was asked to stop campaigning after party leader Samantha Ratnam received a written complaint at 8.30am on Thursday.
“The candidate named in the complaint has been ordered to withdraw from all campaign-related activities pending a formal investigation,” a spokesperson said on Thursday afternoon.
It’s unclear whether that means he has been stood down as a candidate for the party.
“The Greens take allegations of this nature extremely seriously,” the spokesperson said.
“At 10.12am Samantha Ratnam personally contacted the complainant to confirm that their message had been received, was being taken seriously and that immediate actions were being taken to initiate an investigation in line with agreed processes.”
The alleged victim has requested anonymity.
It’s not known what district or region the accused is contesting, and the candidate’s name will still appear on ballots.
Almost 1,850,000 people had already voted by Thursday night.