News State Victoria Man released on bail after alleged one-punch attack

Man released on bail after alleged one-punch attack

A man who punched a passerby in the face has been granted bail. Photo: Victoria Police
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

A man who allegedly punched a passerby on a street in Melbourne’s outer south-east has been granted bail after being charged with the assault, which caused severe head and facial injuries.

The 32-year-old was charged with intentionally causing injury after handing himself in to police on Monday.

He was released on bail after fronting Frankston Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

CCTV footage from outside a Frankston business shows three men walking along a footpath on the Nepean Highway about 7.45pm on July 25.

In the footage, one of the men is seen removing his hands from his vest pockets and striking the passerby in the head as they pass each other.

The three men then walk away as the alleged victim, a 43-year-old Frankston North man, lies motionless on the ground.

The alleged victim, whose dentures were smashed during the altercation, is believed not to have been known to the three men.

His identity has not been revealed by police.

The man’s brother, a 27-year-old Pearcedale man, also handed himself in to police on Monday. He was questioned and later released pending further inquiries.

Police have also identified the third man in the CCTV footage.

Police opposed bail when the suspect appeared in court, arguing he posed an unacceptable risk to the public.

The decision to grant bail was criticised by former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett, who described it as “totally unacceptable”, and said the attack was shocking.

Former chief magistrate Nick Papas QC told Melbourne’s 3AW radio on Tuesday morning that he probably would have made the same decision to grant bail.

“The jails are full. Where do we draw the line? Who are we putting in jail pending final decisions?” he said.

“Yes, let’s tighten; let’s change the law if that’s what we want. But where are we going to put them? Bearing in mind each person [put in jail] costs $100,000.”

The accused will face Frankston Magistrates’ Court again on August 6.