One man is dead and another fighting for life after they were hit by a car then bashed in a brawl between two groups in Melbourne.
The Homicide Squad is investigating the bloody clash in Castley Crescent, Braybrook, which erupted on the quiet suburban street at about 9.30pm on Saturday.
It is believed the pair were run over by a car before being assaulted by the occupants, who then fled the scene in a silver hatchback, police say.
A 40-year-old man died soon after in hospital from his injuries while a 44-year-old suffered critical injuries.
Inspector Kelly Lawson said police were attempting to establish what sparked the melee and how many people were involved.
She said reports on Melbourne radio that a machete had been used to deliver the fatal blows had yet to be confirmed.
“I can’t actually say what type of weapon was involved,” Inspector Lawson said. “I know that one of the males did have some injuries to the head.”
- Witnesses and anyone who can help investigators should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000