The baby boy killed in the Bourke Street mall car rampage has been laid to rest, as two others continue to fight for life in hospital.
Zachary Bryant was farewelled on Tuesday at a private funeral. He was three-months and 14 days when he died after being hit by a car aimed through the mall on Friday.
His devastated parents, Matthew and Nawwar Bryant, released a statement on Monday evening describing their son as “the light of our lives”.
“He was the most beautiful loving, happy and perfect little baby we were so luck to be gifted with.”
Meanwhile, almost $700,000 has been donated to help the victims of last week’s Bourke Street tragedy in Melbourne.
The Federal and Victorian governments have pledged $200,000 while members of the public have donated $486,000 in a little more than two days.
Five people died and about 30 were injured when a car drove onto the footpath and ploughed into pedestrians in the CBD on Friday.
Zachary’s two-year-old sister Zara was also injured in the rampage and is in a stable condition in hospital.
The other victims were 22-year-old Jess Mudie, 33-year-old Matthew Si, 10-year-old Thalia Hakin and a 25-year-old Japanese man.
A public vigil was held in Federation Square last night and a condolence book is available for members of the community to sign at Town Hall.
In the statement, Zachary’s parents thanked those who have helped, comforted and grieved with them.
Your kind words really mean the world to us. We ask you to keep us and Zara in your prayers.”
Driver may face further charges
The driver accused of killing five people and wounding dozens more in the Melbourne CBD rampage was finally charged, but failed to appear in court on Monday.
Dimitrious “Jimmy” Gargasoulas, 26, was allowed to remain in the custody cells when his matter was heard in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Monday after he was charged with five counts of murder.
Police were forced to wait three days to charge Mr Gargasoulas as he recovered from a gunshot sustained after they shot him on Friday when he allegedly ran down pedestrians in Bourke Street mall, killing five and injuring more than 30.
Shortly after doctors cleared him for interview on Monday, police charged him with five murders and said more charges were pending.
Mr Gargasoulas did not appear in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court as planned because he was unwell, his lawyer said.
He has been remanded in custody and ordered to face court via video link in August.
Chief Commissioner Ashton said Mr Gargasoulas had surgery on his arm on Saturday night.