The Victorian Government is taking action to force a property developer — who illegally tore down the historic Corkman Irish pub in Carlton last week — to restore it.
The Corkman Irish pub in the 159-year-old building, which was at the corner of Leicester Street and Pelham Street, was demolished earlier in October despite a council stop work order.
Planning Minister Richard Wynne said both he and the City of Melbourne would launch action in Victoria Civil and Administrative Tribunal on Thursday to compel the site owners to rebuild in line with the “design, scale and layout” of the destroyed pub.
“It has been wilful and illegal destruction of Victorian heritage which can’t be tolerated.”
Planning Minister Richard Wynne
After the building was destroyed, the developers were told they could not remove the debris from the Carlton site because it contained asbestos and were ordered to cover it.
But after a tip-off, the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) discovered some of the waste had been moved to a construction site at Cairnlea, in Melbourne’s north-west and will fine the site owners $7500.
Mr Wynne said breaches of regulations would not be tolerated.
“It’s clear that the developers have breached a number of their statutory responsibilities,” he said.
“I think the overwhelming evidence is that you have to, as a Government, ensure that the planning framework that is in place in our state is respected.
“If you are not prepared to play by the planning rules then there will be repercussions for that.”