A young driver accused of causing a crash that killed two women in Melbourne’s north-west ran a red light and was travelling at more than 100kph before the accident, a court has been told.
Mohamad Hassan, 20, has been charged with culpable driving causing death and dangerous driving causing death over the crash at Attwood on Sunday night.
Two women, Bozica Nikolic 56 and Subha Deumic 60, were killed.
Melbourne Magistrates’ Court heard Hassan, who lives in Tullamarine but is originally from Lebanon, drove through a red light at an intersection, before colliding with a smaller car and causing a catastrophic impact.
The court heard the crash was observed by one of the women’s daughters who was in a car behind them.
The speedometer of the car Hassan was driving was stuck on 130 (kph), while a dash-cam on another car clocked it at more than 100 (kph) in an 80km/h zone, the court was told.
The court heard he had previously been caught speeding but it was his first time in custody.
Hassan a ‘flight risk, at risk of reoffending’
Prosecutors opposed bail, arguing Hassan was a flight risk, even though his passport had expired.
But his defence lawyer said he had strong ties to his family in Victoria.
Magistrate Kay Robertson told the court: “There is a risk of flight, there is a risk of further offending,” but granted bail with a $40,000 surety.
She said that risk could be reduced with strict bail conditions, including that Hassan report to police three times a week.
The magistrate also banned him from driving or being in the front passenger seat of a vehicle.
“That includes on private property and it includes if the car is parked,” she told the court.
The case returns to court in September.