A truck has crashed into the notorious Montague Street bridge in Melbourne, the second vehicle to hit the overpass in the past two days.
The truck ploughed into the bridge late on Tuesday afternoon. Police said in a statement the Port Melbourne-bound truck had been cleared from the area and that no one was injured in the crash.
The truck driver will be issued with an infringement notice, police said.
The crash follows Monday’s incident at the same location, when a bus became wedged underneath the bridge in the morning.
All 15 people, including the driver, survived the crash but some were stretchered to hospital with cuts, abrasions and bruising.
VicRoads Metropolitan North West regional director Bryan Sherritt said on Monday the safety of the overpass would be looked at, but said drivers needed to be aware of height restrictions.
“Clearly with this particular location we will look at that again,” he told 774 ABC Melbourne.
“Today we were very fortunate with the incident; it could have been a whole lot more serious.”
Mr Sherritt earlier said Yarra Trams records showed the Montague Street bridge had been hit at least 95 times in the past six years.
“That’s only the ones that we know about. There are probably other strikes that occur that are far less serious that don’t require anyone to come along to attend the incident,” he said.
Mr Sherritt said the last major crash at the bridge, before the two most recent incidents, had happened in January.
“We reviewed the site then and though we had it to a point that it was fine, but clearly we’ve had this other serious accident today so we need to go through and look at it again to see if there’s anything more we can do.”
VicRoads said warning signs for the bridge were specially designed to be larger than a standard sign and used colours that were clearer for drivers.