News State Victoria News Mum jailed for sex with boy, 12

Mum jailed for sex with boy, 12

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

A Melbourne woman will spend more than three years in jail for having sex with a 12-year-old boy who fathered one of her children.

The 40-year-old woman, who cannot be named, was sentenced at the Victorian County Court on Monday to at least three years and six months in prison.

The woman had pleaded guilty to the persistent sexual abuse of a child under the age of 16 over her relationship with the boy, who was her daughter’s friend.

Labor ‘dangerously divided’: PM
• Possible drive-by shooting in Queensland

In 2011 the woman, who was in her 30s, began driving her daughter and the boy to school.

The woman has admitted she started developing feelings for the boy and began a sexual relationship with him.

The pair had sex once a week over a five-month period and did not use condoms, the court was told.

“You failed to recognise that your feelings for the boy were completely inappropriate,” the judge said.

“You commenced and continued an abusive sexual relationship.”

In May last year the woman gave birth to a girl after telling the boy she thought the baby was his.

The boy’s mother visited the woman in hospital to support her friend but was unaware her son was the father and she was the grandmother.

Shortly afterwards the boys’ parents found out about the relationship and confronted the woman and reported her to police.

A DNA test confirmed the boy is the baby’s father.

In a victim impact statement the boy’s mother said the woman’s actions had affected her entire family.

“She has described how you have taken away his childhood and the difficulties he has had adjusting to fatherhood and what has happened to him,” the judge said.

The woman was supposed to be taking care of the boy but had breached his trust and his family’s trust, the court was told.

“You have allowed your physical and emotional urges overcome what should have been the proper adult response,” the judge said.

The judge noted the woman was ashamed, remorseful and unlikely to reoffend and sentenced her to a maximum of six years in prison.

View Comments