News State Victoria News Man dies following neck slash

Man dies following neck slash

Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

A man has died at Melbourne’s Crown Metropol after suffering a laceration to his neck.

The man who booked the room where the incident occurred was known to police.

Aussie facing death penalty
Wife killer jailed for 30 years
The most dangerous places on earth

Police say the victim, believed to be aged in his 30s, died during an attack before 2.30am on Sunday.

Detective Sergeant Nathan Favre says a number of people were staying in the room.

“There’s an element of violence, which is distressing,” he said.

Nothing leads police to believe the attack was linked to gangs or drugs, and the victim is yet to be formally identified.

No one has been arrested over the incident and Det Sgt Favre couldn’t comment on whether any weapon had been recovered.

The reason for the altercation is not clear, but it is not believed to be a domestic dispute.

Police have spoken to a person who witnessed the assault.

Det Sgt Favre said investigators wanted to speak with others who were in the room, and urged them to contact police.

“We’re trying to get in contact with more than one person,” he said.

Crime scene investigators are in the room, examining fingerprints and other evidence.