Victoria Police detectives have broadened their investigation into historical sexual assaults allegations at St Patrick’s College in Sale as more victims have come forward.
Since making an appeal last week, the Sano Taskforce detectives have received many calls relating to new complaints of child abuse at the Catholic school during the 1970s and 1980s.
Previously investigators were focusing their attentions on one offender, but have since received complaints against a number of other former school employees.
A Victoria Police spokesperson says the new complaints were made by male students aged between nine and 16 at the time of the incidents, when they attended the boys only boarding school.
The spokesperson says detectives interviewed an 87-year-old Sale man, a former school employee, last Thursday who was later released pending further enquiries.
Child Exploitation Taskforces Detective Inspector Stephen Dennis says it is never too late for victims to come forward.
“It has become apparent from the new complaints we have received that the initial reported incidents were not isolated,” Insp Dennis says.
“Callers from throughout Australia and overseas have been in contact with Sano Taskforce investigators in Melbourne and have indicated that other former school employees may be implicated in the sexual abuse of students.
“We believe there may still be more people out there who can be of assistance to police and we urge them to come forward and provide information.”
Detectives would like to speak to any victims or witnesses who have information relating to sexual abuse at the college during the 1970s and 1980s.
Anyone with information is urged to call the Sano Taskforce toll free line on 1800 110 007.
Information can also be provided anonymously to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au