News State Victoria News Victorian paramedics reject govt pay offer

Victorian paramedics reject govt pay offer

AAP
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Victorian paramedics will take further industrial action after rejecting a state government pay offer during talks in the Fair Work Commission.

Monday’s proposed one-off six per cent rise followed last year’s failed 12 per cent five-year deal.

Ambulance union secretary Steve McGhie says the latest offer is insulting and disappointing, and there is no resolution to the impasse in sight.

“We have not made progress, in fact, we have gone backwards,” he said.

“Ambulance Victoria and the Department of Health appear unable to bring this dispute to an end.”

Mr McGhie said the union will protest with paperwork bans and stop work meetings, but paramedics will not threaten public safety in the process.

Health Minister David Davis says the union is more interested in playing politics than achieving financial outcomes for paramedics.

“It’s irresponsible,” Mr Davis said.

“The union has walked away from the pay offer and the capacity to get even further pay rises.”

Mr Davis said the government remains committed to the offer of 12 per cent, with six per cent upfront, and a $1500 sign-up payment.

“We are committed to this fair pay rise and look forward to further negotiations at the Fair Work Commission if the union is prepared to negotiate,” he said.

He said the government would respond if patients were put at risk by industrial action.

A further meeting in the Fair Work Commission will be held on February 26.

Union members will meet to discuss future action on February 12 at Trades Hall in Melbourne.