News State South Australia Vet clinic mistakenly euthanises beloved $1500 cat
Updated:

Vet clinic mistakenly euthanises beloved $1500 cat

vet mistake euthanise cat
Tyga the Bengal cat was put down in error. Photo: ABC
Share
Tweet Share Reddit Pin Email

A South Australian pet owner is seeking answers after a local vet accidentally euthanised her $1500 Bengal cat.

Diane Boyd posted a picture of her missing cat Tyga on the Lost Pets of South Australia Facebook page on July 9.

She said on Wednesday afternoon she received a call from a veterinary clinic in the Murraylands, telling her the five-year-old cat had been euthanised.

“The vet said … they saw the post on Facebook again yesterday and thought they’d better let us know they had him there,” she said.

“I’m assuming they would’ve thought he was a wild feral cat. I was just so angry and upset at the time.

“I didn’t ask [how it’d happened] – they just said a mistake.

“[Bengals are] very vocal, so he would’ve been screaming in the cage.”

The clinic has declined to comment.

But in a Facebook post purportedly from someone connected to the clinic, it said it had been in contact with the animal’s owners.

Ms Boyd and her daughter Emma bought Tyga for $1500 and had raised him from infancy.

She said he had been missing for a fortnight and had been captured by an officer and taken to the clinic, where they had been regular clients.

“He was registered there, I rung the vet when he went missing,” she said.

“They fixed my cat in the summer [when] he got bitten by a snake, they fixed him up, they all knew, they all say they loved Tyga.”

Family wants clinic to reimburse them $1500

A spokesman from the local council said they were aware of the incident but the animal was not locally registered.

“This clearly is an unfortunate incident, our empathy sits with the owner of the cat, but there’s been no involvement of council officers in relation to this matter,” he said.

“Effectively it’s a matter outside our jurisdiction.”

Ms Boyd said the clinic had offered to pay for cremation.

She supplied ABC News with a copy of a voicemail from a staff member of the clinic, which stated: “We’d just like to talk to you regarding what type of urn you would like for Tyga?”

vet mistake euthanise cat
Tyga was a beloved family pet. Photo: ABC

“I haven’t gotten back to them, they just want to know what urn I want to put him in,” Ms Boyd said.

Ms Boyd said she thought the clinic should reimburse her the cost of the cat and all associated vet fees.

A spokeswoman from the Dog and Cat Management Board said it was saddened by the “unfortunate incident and very sorry to the parties involved”.

She said the local council was responsible for cat management in the area and any further investigation would be up to the council, the owner and the vet.

“If cats are causing a nuisance, members of the public are legally permitted to trap an unidentified cat,” she said.

If a cat is not microchipped and not wearing an identification tag, it must be taken to a registered vet, RSPCA centre or the Animal Welfare League within 12 hours.

“The board is aware that the cat’s microchip details were not registered with the statewide database Dogs and Cats Online, but with another national microchip database,” she said.

-ABC