News State South Australia Teens charged with murder after Adelaide pub fight
Updated:

Teens charged with murder after Adelaide pub fight

The Slug 'N' Lettuce pub where tempers flared and a life ended. Photo: ABC
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Two teenagers have been charged with murder over the death of a man after an altercation outside a pub in Adelaide early on Saturday morning.

In the first incident, police were called to the Slug ‘n’ Lettuce pub at Parafield Gardens about 12.40am and found a 46-year-old man with serious injuries.

He was initially taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital in a critical condition.

On Sunday afternoon, Chief Inspector Darren Fielke said the man had died as a result of his injuries.

“Both men have now had their previous assault charges upgraded to murder,” Chief Inspector Darren Fielke said.

Police said detectives from the Northern District attended the scene and following an investigation two men from Paralowie, both aged 19, were arrested.

Both men were initially charged with aggravated assault causing serious harm, but the charges have since been upgraded to murder.

Chief Inspector Fielke said police believed there had been an altercation between the victim and two men outside of the venue, but investigations into the incident would continue.

“We will allege that he was assaulted by being punched, we are still working through whether that was a one-punch or multiple,” he said.

“We are reviewing CCTV that was made available to us of the incident.”

‘Tragic, senseless and unnecessary’

Chief Inspector Fielke described the incident as “tragic” and “senseless” and said he felt for the three families affected.

“[It is] clearly tragic, senseless [and] unnecessary, a tragic loss of life,” he said.

“What results out of this is three families today have had their lives changed forever.

“Clearly the victim, who has sadly passed away in hospital … and also the two young men involved in this incident, it’s just a sad, tragic incident and completely unnecessary.”

The teenagers will be refused police bail to appear in the Elizabeth Magistrates Court at a later date.

Police have called for anyone who may have witnessed the assault to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

-ABC