South Australia has confirmed its first case of Zika virus this year.
A 25-year-old man, now recovered, caught the virus overseas, SA Health says.
But there is no risk to the public because the mosquito carrying the virus is not found here.
Two previous cases were discovered last year and in 2012.
SA Health chief medical officer Paddy Phillips did not say where the affected man had caught the virus, citing privacy concerns.
The man presented to hospital on February 19 with symptoms but his diagnosis wasn’t confirmed until Tuesday night.
Prof Phillips said the man will be required to abstain from unprotected sex for three months, which he described as a conservative time span.
Travellers, especially pregnant women, should carefully consider whether they needed to fly to areas where the virus had spread.
“There are precautions you can take against the mosquitoes and they are very important,” Prof Phillips told reporters.
“It’s an individual decision as to whether a person must undertake that travel.”
The virus is known to have spread to countries within the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, the Pacific Islands and South America.
Prof Phillips said anyone travelling to Zika-affected areas should reduce the risk of mosquito bites by wearing loose-fitting long-sleeved clothes and using an insect repellent containing picaridin or DEET.
Symptoms of the virus include headache, muscle and joint aches, rash and conjunctivitis.