A South Australian man and woman have been arrested by Malaysian authorities for allegedly kidnapping their two-year-old son in Adelaide.
The boy was under the guardianship of the Minister for Education and Child Development, but lived with his grandparent.
Police on Friday said the parents, aged 26 and 23, have been charged with the aggravated unlawful removal of a child from a jurisdiction.
The grandparents, aged 64 and 52, have been charged with aiding and abetting the parents.
The arrest of the parents followed a request to Malaysia by the Australian government.
“The boy is now safely in the care of Malaysian authorities and arrangements are being made for him to return to Australia with Families SA staff,” police said in a statement.
Police will allege the grandparents handed the boy over to his parents on August 2, but failed to notify police for more than 24 hours that the boy had been taken.
Chief Inspector Tony Crameri said the priority throughout the operation had been the boy’s safety and wellbeing.
“This was an incredibly delicate investigation and we were mindful that the parents could flee at any moment with the boy to an unknown location,” he said.
The grandparents have been granted bail and are expected to appear in the Holden Hill Magistrates Court on October 14.
Police will seek to have the parents extradited back to SA.