Brisbane’s Princess Alexandra Hospital has been placed into lockdown after a doctor tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday.
The doctor had contact with COVID-19-positive patients at the hospital in Brisbane’s south in the early hours of Wednesday.
They were infectious whilst in the community the following day and contact tracing is underway to identify and contact all patients, staff and families who may have been exposed.
It is likely public exposure sites will be identified and communicated on Saturday morning.
The case marks the end of Queensland’s 59-day run without a locally-spread infection.
In a statement, the hospital said “tests indicate low levels of the virus, which means the staff member may have only been infectious in the community for around one day on the 11th”.
All non-essential visits to patients in the hospital will no longer be allowed.
Anyone who must attend the hospital will be required to wear a mask.
The Emergency Department will remain open, but the public is encouraged to seek care at a nearby hospital or at a GP if possible.
Hospital staff will wear masks at all times and patients will be required to do the same unless it is not clinically appropriate.
Non-urgent outpatient bookings and elective surgery will be postponed.
The hospital has administered 3,477 doses of coronavirus vaccines since the rollout began, however it is unclear whether the doctor is one of the recipients.
The hospital said it was “actively working to ensure the safety of staff and patients on campus while contact tracing is undertaken”.
Anyone with any COVID-19 symptoms should get tested immediately and isolate until receiving a negative result.
Located in the inner-city suburb of Woolloongabba, the hospital is one of Brisbane’s largest, with a capacity of more than 1,000 beds.
Last month, the hospital became the second Pfizer vaccine hub in the state.