News State QLD News Woman and child found dead after fire at Gold Coast unit complex

Woman and child found dead after fire at Gold Coast unit complex

Half of the eight units sustained severe structural damage. Photo: ABC News
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

The bodies of a woman and a child have been located inside a unit after a fire ripped through the complex on Queensland’s Gold Coast early this morning, police say.

Police said they received multiple triple-0 calls after the fire erupted in Biggera Waters about 1:30am and when they arrived, one of the units was already engulfed in flames.

Senior Sergeant Brett Macgibbon said officers had evacuated residents from neighbouring units but had been unable to find the missing pair.

“The fire was very extensive at that stage and police were unable unfortunately to get into the unit,” he said.

“The fire was just horrendous when we’ve arrived — massive flames coming out of all the windows, neighbours were actually giving us ladders to try and convince us to go in.

“However it was just extremely dangerous and no-one could have gone into that unit.”

Forensic testing will be carried out to confirm their identity.

Police said a man aged in his 40s was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services said six crews were needed to contain the blaze.

Half of the eight units at the complex sustained severe structural damage.

QFES Inspector Kerry Cumner said the extent of the fire had made evacuations and fighting the fire extremely challenging.

“We gained external access reasonably quick, but we had a bit of trouble gaining internal access to start working back to the seat of the fire,” Inspector Cumner said.

“Because of how involved the fire was … at this stage we’ve been unable to ascertain where the fire could have started.”

Police said neighbours were giving officers ladders to try and go into the units. Photo: ABC News

Investigations into the cause of the fire are continuing

Senior Sergeant Macgibbon said a crime scene had been declared.

He said damage to the structure of the building had made it difficult for the police investigation.

“The roof we believe is asbestos as well, which is going to be an ongoing issue … for investigators as we go forward,” he said.