The Queensland government, mining industry and unions will hold crisis talks after the death of another worker.
A 27-year-old man died at a coal mine in central Queensland on Sunday, just hours before another man was injured at a North Queensland coal mine.
Queensland Mines Minister Anthony Lynham says the death and injury toll is unacceptable.
He vowed to follow up on discussions held last week by meeting with representatives of the mining industry, including the Queensland Resources Council, CFMEU and AWU and my Department, as a matter of urgency.
“I am extremely distressed and concerned that there has been six mining and quarry worker deaths in the last 12 months,” Dr Lyneham said.
“I will be making it absolutely clear that this situation is unacceptable and requires action.”
Queensland Resources Council said it would meet with the government, unions and workers again this week on further actions that can be taken to increase safety across the industry.
They had stepped up communication around safety after the death of another man at Middlemount coal mine two weeks ago.
“Industry is working on measures for a safety reset to refocus on safety in light of the recent tragedies,” the QRC says.
CFMEU Queensland mining and energy president Steve Smyth said the mining industry should be shut down for at least 24 hours so some “serious reflection can occur”.
“It’s terrible, we’re sick of it … it’s a safety crisis,” Mr Smyth told the ABC.
“We’ve been saying there needs to be a major safety reset.”
Just hours after the fatality at Baralaba North Coal mine, a man fell about 10 metres from a platform at Glencore’s Collinsville Coal Mine.
“The employee was injured in a fall at the site’s coal washery,” Glencore says.
The Mines Inspectorate is investigating.