Clive Palmer says he did nothing wrong in the lead-up to the collapse of Queensland Nickel, as he faces a second day of questioning in the Federal Court in Brisbane.
The businessman and former federal MP is giving evidence as liquidators probe his involvement in the failed Queensland Nickel company, which left hundreds of millions of dollars in debts and the loss of about 850 jobs in Townsville.
Outside court Thursday morning, Mr Palmer told media the Townsville community should be thankful he provided jobs at the nickel refinery for the seven years before it collapsed.
“I don’t think there’s any other citizen of Townsville or anywhere in this state of Queensland that would put their own personal guarantee to ensure that 3,000 Queenslanders should stay employed,” he said.
‘I can’t recall’
On Wednesday, Mr Palmer told the court he could not remember details of multi-million-dollar payments made by his mining empire while he was chairman.
In a tense exchange with Walter Sofronoff QC, barrister for liquidator FTI Consulting, Mr Palmer repeatedly answered “I can’t recall” when probed about specific transactions.
One 2012 transaction was a $US15 million payment from Queensland Nickel to Mr Palmer’s personal account.
When asked what the money was for, Mr Palmer told the court he did not know.
“It’s four years ago. I can’t remember payments of $15 million,” he said.
Mr Sofronoff is expected to continue his cross-examination of Mr Palmer today.
After proceedings on Wednesday, a jovial Mr Palmer said his time on the stand had been “a really pleasurable experience”.