The accidental death of a 13-year-old Brisbane boy in a “choking game” has sparked warnings for parents to talk to their children about the online trend.
It is believed the teenager died last week after playing the game, reportedly called the “good boys’ game”, where oxygen to the brain is temporarily cut off, to get a sense of euphoria.
In the game, youths film themselves and post the videos online, often generating thousands of views.
The principal of the boy’s north Brisbane Catholic school, which has not been named at his parents’ request, broke news of the boy’s death in an email on Monday that urged parents to monitor their children’s online behaviour.
Federation of Parents and Friends Association of Catholic Schools in Queensland executive director Carmel Nash said parents needed to be aware of the game, which involves children being dared to allow themselves to be choked unconscious.
They are kids, they are not aware of the dangers and the consequences, and it really is the parents’ job to talk to kids about it and for schools to make sure they are making parents aware.”
Carmel Nash to the Courier Mail
Secondary Principals’ Association president Andrew Pierpoint said it was a dangerous, recurring fad.
“As it raises its terrible ugly head on the internet it becomes more prevalent and then it wanes away again,” he said.
“I think there needs to be high levels of communication in schools about safe behaviours.
I know that parents would be and should be having those conversations around the dinner table.”
The boy was a keen cricket and AFL player, even umpiring for the latter, with clubs holding a minute’s silence to pay tribute.
He was described as a team player, sharp fielder, and talented left-arm bowler.
“His family has our deepest sympathy at this very sad time,” his AFL club wrote on its Facebook page.