A man who allegedly raped a woman in a Brisbane alleyway more than five years ago has faced court, just as his co-accused was extradited from NSW.
He will seek bail on Friday.
The 24-year-old was arrested in Annerley on Wednesday morning and charged over the 2011 attack on the 20-year-old woman.
Police allege the two men forced her into an alleyway on the night of April 15, 2011, as she was walking along Manning Street to catch a bus after leaving a nearby venue.
It’s alleged the pair violently raped her, inflicting both internal and external injuries.
The Brisbane man, who currently works as a barman, sat calmly in the dock of the Brisbane Magistrates Court during a brief hearing on Thursday.
Barrister Cliff Crawford told the court his client had only just received prosecution material and planned to make a bail application on Friday, when his 32-year-old co-accused will also appear in the same court.
The man was remanded in custody.
Police have said the two men are known to one another but have not revealed how.
Both are from Brisbane and face three counts of rape, two of sexual assault and one count of deprivation of liberty.
The 32-year-old was arrested in northern NSW at the same time as the younger defendant and has faced a Lismore court, where detectives sought his extradition to Queensland.
He arrived at the Brisbane watch house on Thursday morning.
The court heard he was in the process of being interviewed and was likely to appear on Friday.
The arrests came after police last week made a fresh appeal for public information, saying evidence was being retested with modern technologies.
Detectives from the sex crimes unit had also joined the investigation.
Following the arrests, Detective Inspector Garry Watts said the outcome showed no matter was ever considered “unsolvable” and the victim was relieved.
At the time of the incident, a senior detective said the woman was “aggressively raped in the worst way” he had seen throughout his career.