News State Queensland Woman charged over alleged double murder of siblings

Woman charged over alleged double murder of siblings

April and Ian Bailey were found dead in their burnt-out home in Deception Bay. Photo: QLD Police
Tweet Share Reddit Pin Email Comment

A woman has been charged with two counts of murder and one count of arson over the alleged double murder of a brother and sister more than a decade ago.

The 34-year-old Kallangur woman has also been charged with possessing a dangerous drug.

April and Ian Bailey were found dead inside their home at Deception Bay, north of Brisbane, in May 2004.

The house had been destroyed by fire and forensic examinations revealed the pair had been killed prior to it being lit.

Ms Bailey’s daughter Violet, who was four at the time, witnessed the crime.

Several triple-0 calls were made around the time of the blaze, and one was believed to have captured the scream of Ian Bailey prior to the fire being lit.

Last year detectives said an appeal for information had brought forward several new witnesses, and they were confident they would solve the crime thanks to advances in forensic investigation.

The woman has been taken into custody and is being questioned by police.

Charges expected later today, further arrests possible

Police Detective Inspector Damien Hansen said the woman was due to be charged later today with two counts of murder and one of arson.

“She’s known to both of the victims — part of the motive will be it’s drug-related,” he said.

“I expect there will be other arrests for murder that will be made as the investigation progresses.

“There’s a number of other persons of interest that we are looking at [and] there’s a number of other persons we will be speaking to in the next few days.”

He said the family were aware it would now be a long process through the courts.

“It’s a very emotional time, especially for Violet — it has been a long time coming,” he said.

Detective Inspector Hansen urged anyone with further information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

“We’ve had a number of people come forward that previously had not given evidence, or were reluctant to give evidence from 2004,” he said.

“They’ve changed their lifestyles, their morals, and that has helped us greatly in solving this.”

The woman is expected to face the Redcliffe Magistrates Court on Monday.


View Comments