News State QLD News Vigil held for baby killed after stabbing

Vigil held for baby killed after stabbing

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

More than 200 people have gathered for a candlelight vigil to remember Queenie Xu, the baby girl who was stabbed to death in a horrific attack in Brisbane’s southside on Wednesday.

The two-month-old received life-threatening stab wounds during the alleged domestic dispute in her home on Watheroo Place in Parkinson.

She was rushed to Brisbane’s Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital in a critical condition, but later died of her injuries.

• Baby stabbed to death in Queensland
Boy, 11, attacked by shark in Qld
Man feared dead in pub fire

Flowers have been laid in a park opposite the house, which is now a crime scene.

Church groups and members of the Chinese community turned out to support the family.

Police said the vigil served as a way for the community to pay their respects.

“The vigil tonight is community motivated. The community needed an outlet to show the family their support,” Detective Inspector Tony Duncan said.

Pastor Robert Chua, who attended the vigil, said it was great to see the community support.

“I think that’s what it’s all about, especially for this area where there are a lot of multicultural and migrant families,” he said.

Queenie’s 53-year-old grandfather was arrested by police shortly after the incident, but no charges have been laid.

“We are trying to identify what the motivation is, and at this stage, we haven’t worked out what that is,” Detective Inspector Duncan told media on Thursday afternoon.

Pastor Chua said both Queenie’s grandfather and grandmother attended his church just after Christmas.

“They came about three Sundays ago, just after Christmas,” he said.

“But I only met them last Sunday, when the grandfather came in. He came in early and I just said hello to him and that was it.”

The grandparents had moved to Brisbane from China last month to help look after Queenie when her mother returned to work.

Pastor Chua said the grandfather looked like a normal, happy grandparent.

“He was carrying little Queenie and smiling away and when he left I was told he said ‘See you next Sunday’,” he said.

The grandfather and both the baby’s grandmother and mother remain in hospital after also receiving serious injuries in the attack.

Pastor Chua said he planned to visit Queenie’s parents there on Friday.

Detective Inspector Duncan said there was no history of family violence.


View Comments