Queensland’s premier has urged people protesting the downgrading of Gerard Baden-Clay’s murder conviction to be cautious.
Baden-Clay’s conviction for killing his wife Allison was downgraded from murder to manslaughter in the Court of Appeal last week.
The state is seeking legal advice and has until January 5 to apply to appeal in the High Court.
However, the DoingIt4Allison group has organised a rally in Brisbane on Friday to pressure the government to appeal sooner.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk supports the group’s right to protest, but has urged them to be cautious and says she won’t be attending.
“I won’t be commenting any further in relation to the matters that could prejudice an appeal and I would urge caution with others as well,” she said.
Acting Attorney-General Cameron Dick said the Director of Public Prosecutions had to be careful and thorough, as the case was run on the basis of circumstantial evidence.
He warned any appeal could effect other cases as well.
“You have to get your arguments right, you have to get your case right,” Mr Dick said.
But he promised the upcoming holiday period wouldn’t complicate or delay the process.
“We will do whatever we need to do to finalise this work and people will work through break if required to finalise the matter,” Mr Dick said.
“The issue of Christmas and the holiday break will not interfere with the appropriate consideration of this case.”
Allison Baden-Clay’s cousin Jodie Dann said “people want justice”.
“The government has been talking about domestic violence and stopping it and then something like this happens (the Court of Appeal decision) and you say where is the justice in that,” she told The Courier-Mail.
“You can kill your wife and walk away in five years.”