The Australian boss of ride-sharing app Uber has called on the Queensland government to do more research into its safety procedures before “boasting” about their work with the company.
On Tuesday, David Rohrsheim said staff from the Queensland transport department had been “boasting” about the 6000 hours they’d spent on “enforcement activities” on Uber drivers.
Rohrsheim is surprised, though, that no government official had been into Uber’s offices to talk safety.
• Sorry cabbies, it’s your own fault: expert, punters
• Uber’s bait and switch: passengers taken for a ride
• Uber will soon be legal in this Australian city
• Your Uber driver could be fined thousands
“But no one in that department has found one hour to come down to the Uber office and say ‘what are your safety procedures?'” Mr Rohrsheim said at an economic development meeting, according to News Corp.
“If safety was their top priority, why hasn’t that meeting happened?”
The comments come amid the escalating violence and tension between the Queensland taxi industry and Uber.
Taxi drivers continue to argue Uber is illegal and unsafe. Mr Rorsheim described these beliefs as “fear-driven arguments about new technology”.
Two Uber drivers were allegedly attacked by taxi drivers in Brisbane last week.
“The good news is, people aren’t buying it,” Mr Rorsheim said.
He said more than one million Australians used the app.
“We are new, we are difficult, we are work for a new government,” he said.