The man jailed for killing Queensland schoolboy Daniel Morcombe has had an appeal against his conviction dismissed.
Brett Peter Cowan was in 2014 sentenced to life in prison with a non-parole period of 20 years for killing 13-year-old Daniel in 2003.
Cowan abducted Daniel while he waited for a bus on the Sunshine Coast.
His lawyers launched an appeal on six grounds including potential prejudicial media during the trial and that police improperly obtained a confession.
Queensland’s former attorney-general Jarrod Bleijie lodged a separate appeal to increase Cowan’s non-parole period, which he said was manifestly inadequate and would fail to deter others.
In a decision on Thursday, Queensland’s Court of Appeal upheld a jury’s guilty verdict.
A bid by the attorney-general to extend Cowan’s 20-year non-parole period was also rejected.
The 45-year-old remains in prison where he is serving a life sentence for Daniel’s 2003 abduction and murder.
Cowan’s lawyer Tim Meehan said he would be seeking further instructions from his client.
A special leave application to the High Court would now be pursued, Mr Meehan said.
He told reporters outside court Cowan was expecting the decision.
“He has been quite realistic at every step in relation to what his prospects in the court of appeal were,” Mr Meehan said.
“He will be very happy that we actually have a decision.”
He maintained that police officers involved in the case had “overstepped the mark” in their investigations.
Daniel’s father Bruce was present, but his mother Denise did not attend.
Mr Morcombe said it had been more than 11 years since they saw Daniel and they would never forget him.
“Today we hope that Mr Cowan doesn’t forget his actions,” Mr Morcombe said outside court.
“He will spend 20 years in jail and we hope they are tough.
“It’s very mixed emotions, really, it has been a long process.
“It is not a moment of celebration, but reflection.”
– with ABC/AAP