South-east Queenslanders who are mopping up and rebuilding after Friday’s severe storms will get hardship payments, the Queensland Premier has announced.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk toured one of the worst affected areas, Deception Bay, where damaged fridges, couches and weatherboards are being binned.
Those affected will get $180 per person to $900 per family.
“Families here have lost everything,” she said on Sunday.
“We need to get these people back up on their feet, it has been a very stressful time for them.”
Communities north of Brisbane copped the worst of the deadly cells, which dumped 360mm of rain in less than 24 hours.
Five people have died after three cars were swept away by floodwaters at Caboolture, north of Brisbane overnight Friday.
In Deception Bay, some homes were inundated with floodwater up to chest height and dozens of roads were closed.
Ms Palaszczuk said see would also investigate whether nearby development at Deception Bay made flooding worse.
“I’d be absolutely horrified if that is the case,” she said.
Moreton Bay Regional Council Mayor Allan Sutherland said he was shocked by the damage, particularly on Major Street and Kate Avenue at Deception Bay, off the Hays Inlet.
“About 100 homes have been totally smashed,” he said.
“The water height is past chest height in a lot of the houses.
“The street is just a sea of their personal possessions, fridges, bedding, kids’ toys, clothes.”
The Insurance Council of Australia said they had received several thousand claims so far, mostly for low-level damage to property and vehicles.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the Federal Government was ready to assist the Queensland Government under the standard natural disaster arrangements.
A damage bill is yet to be estimated for the region, which is still recovering after the November hail storm, which caused $1.3 billion damage.
– with ABC