News State Northern Territory Two people killed in Darwin light plane crash

Two people killed in Darwin light plane crash

The wing of the crashed Cessna 210
The wing of the crashed Cessna 210 is visible through trees alongside Gunn Point Road. Photo: ABC
Tweet Share Reddit Pin Email

Two people have died in a light plane crash on the outskirts of Darwin, Northern Territory Police said.

The Cessna 210 was en route to Darwin Airport about 1:30pm when it crashed near Howard Springs, about 25 kilometres south of Darwin’s CBD.

Wreckage from the crash is strewn across both sides of Gunn Point Road and extends for about 200 metres, Superintendent Anthony Deutrom said, with crime scenes set up on both sides of the road.

“The aircraft is in at least two distinct parts,” he said.

At least one wing was located on one side of the road, with the main body of the plane on the other.

He said two people were found inside the fuselage of the six-seater, single-propeller plane.

The aircraft was owned by a local company, but as next of kin of the victims had not yet been identified, police would not disclose which company.

“At this stage it’s obviously difficult circumstances for all parties involved, our thoughts are with the families of the two deceased persons,” Superintendent Deutrom said.

Police cars at Gunn Point Road
Police cars blocking off Gunn Point Road, where a Cessna 210 crashed, killing two. Photo: ABC

He said police were yet to verify where the plane was travelling to when it crashed.

It was not yet known whether the pilot had attempted to land the aircraft on the road, or whether bad weather was a factor.

“This time of year is quite notorious for inclement weather and that will form part of the investigation,” Superintendent Deutrom said.
‘There’s obviously a body of work that needs to be undertaken … before we can draw any conclusions as to what [the plane] was doing.”

NT Police will conduct an investigation on behalf of the coroner, and investigators from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) will leave Canberra on Tuesday morning to fly to Darwin.

Police will be at the scene until at least Tuesday afternoon, Superintendent Deutrom said.

He said the welfare of first responders was also a concern when dealing with fatal accidents.

“Obviously any time when police are responding to these sorts of incidents it is quite traumatic,” he said.