News State NSW News No new NSW virus cases, South Australia rules lifted

No new NSW virus cases, South Australia rules lifted

NSW's run without a local case, prompted the opening of the Queensland and WA borders. Photo: AAP
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

NSW has recorded no new local cases of COVID-19 and agreed to remove the final restrictions for South Australians entering the state.

The zero locally acquired infections in the 24 hours to 8pm on Friday were accompanied by six cases found in hotel quarantine.

NSW Health on Saturday said orders barring those connected to SA’s Parafield cluster would from Sunday be lifted. NSW will thus be open to all people in Australia and New Zealand.

However authorities say they are also concerned with falling COVID test numbers, with 10,214 conducted in the 24-hour reporting period.

“With restrictions eased, borders having reopened and Christmas just two weeks away, it’s important we don’t drop our guard,” NSW Health’s Dr Chatu Yapa said on Saturday.

“Don’t wait until Monday to see if your runny nose or sore throat goes away.”

NSW has now marked eight consecutive days of zero locally acquired cases since a hotel quarantine cleaner last week picked up the virus.

Prior to that diagnosis, NSW went 26 days without a local case, which prompted the opening of the Queensland and WA borders for NSW residents.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian has long advocated an open-border policy.

“The important thing is that we will be open by Christmas and that is what our citizens want and expect and I hope this is sustained until the end of the pandemic,” she told National Cabinet on Friday.

NSW Health on Saturday also implored those in Batemans Bay and southwest Sydney to come forward for testing with even the mildest of symptoms after fragments of virus were found in sewage.

No COVID-19 patients in NSW are currently in intensive care.

Investigations continue into the source of the recent case in the Sydney hotel quarantine cleaner.

-AAP