News State New South Wales Some 1700 still without power in Sydney

Some 1700 still without power in Sydney

Downed power lines saddled repair crews with a mammoth task. Photo: AAP
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

About 1700 homes and businesses in northern Sydney remain without power almost a week after cyclone-like storms hit the city.

Network operator Ausgrid said power had been restored to more than 97 per cent of its customers impacted by Tuesday’s severe storms.

However some customers in the city’s worst-hit areas – particularly Gordon, Pymble, Killara, Belrose, East Killara, Hornsby Heights and Frenchs Forest – remained without power on Monday.

“Since the storms we have safely restored power to more than 50,300 homes and businesses across Sydney’s north,” Ausgrid said in a statement.

The company said all individual repairs should be completed by the end of the day.

Ausgrid has previously said regulations prevented its staff from repairing customer equipment past the connection point and urged those affected to contact a qualified electrician to repair damage to their own equipment.

The distributor says the cyclone-like damage was some of the worst it had seen in a concentrated area.

But the Electrical Trades Union argues the length of the large-scale blackout highlights the impact of job cuts.

It says the workforce at NSW’s three electricity distributors had been slashed by 40 per cent.

-AAP