News State New South Wales Aged care worker Prakash Paudyal jailed over assault of dementia patient
Updated:

Aged care worker Prakash Paudyal jailed over assault of dementia patient

CCTV footage from the aged care home. Photo: NSW Police
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

The aged care worker who was secretly filmed abusing a grandfather on Sydney’s northern beaches has been sentenced to four months in jail.

Prakash Paudyal, 35, pleaded guilty to assaulting David Nabulsi at a Bupa nursing home in Seaforth last year.

Paudyal was caught on hidden camera repeatedly hitting the 82-year-old with a shoe.

He was also observed pulling Mr Nabulsi, a dementia sufferer, to the floor while trying to remove his clothes.

Paudyal was supported by family and friends as he was sentenced in Manly Court on Wednesday.

Mr Nabulsi’s daughter Ayda Celine, who set up the hidden camera in a photo frame, said she was very surprised at the outcome but felt it set an important precedent.

Ayda Celine, with husband Ash, said being tired or overworked did not excuse the violence. Photo: ABC News

“I’m so relieved that we are finally standing up for the elderly,” she said.

In sentencing, Magistrate Christopher Longley said Paudyal had been entrusted with the care of some of “society’s most vulnerable” and the assault was “disturbing and distressing” for Mr Nabulsi as well as his family.

Ms Celine broke down as the video of her father being hit and shoved was shown to the courtroom.

No regrets about illegal filming

The court was told that when Paudyal lashed out he was working two jobs and up to 55 hours a week and was financially stressed.

He also had offered a letter of apology to Mr Nabulsi’s family.

But Ms Celine did not accept the apology or the excuses.

The facility passed accreditation standards nine days before David Nabulsi was attacked.

“Everyone’s overworked, everyone’s tired, it’s just not good enough,” she said.

Ms Celine said while setting up the camera that recorded the abuse was illegal, she does not regret it and would do it again.

Paudyal had worked across four aged care homes but was immediately sacked from Bupa after the assault was recorded.

In a statement, Carolyn Cooper, the chief operating officer, said immediate action was taken to improve standards at Seaforth and there was a review of care plans for all residents.

The Department of Health said Bupa Seaforth’s non-compliance was still under review.

Paudyal is applying for bail.

ABC