The NSW Police Commissioner has delivered a strong statement about a convicted rapist who allegedly assaulted a seven-year-old girl in Kogarah, saying he would ensure he “dies in jail”.
Mick Fuller appeared alongside Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Police Minister Troy Grant to announce the consignment of 91 police officers to the anti-drug and gun crime unit.
When questioned about Anthony Sampieri, 54, who allegedly raped a young girl in a toilet inside a Kogarah dance studio building on November 15, the commissioner did not mince words.
“My No.1 priority is making sure that Sampieri dies in jail,” Mr Fuller said.
“I will make sure that the investigation, that all of the evidence that goes before the court, sees him never back on our streets again.”
Sampieri was taken to Maroubra Police Station on Sunday afternoon and is expected to be charged for a number of offences relating to the incident.
When asked whether measures such as a GPS tracking device on Sampieri would have made a difference in the alleged incident, the commissioner said it was irrelevant if standard procedures were not being met.
“We’re supposed to protect victims and if a victim comes forward we take a statement and if we can make an arrest, we make an arrest,” he said.
“I need to make sure every officer is reminded of that every day.”
Police admit failure to protect victim
On Thursday, Mr Fuller admitted NSW Police had failed the victim and her family after it was revealed Sampieri was tied to a lewd phone call made to a Sydney woman, weeks before he allegedly raped the young girl.
The commissioner said that on October 26, an officer from St George Police Station had taken a complaint from a Sydney woman about the call and interviewed Sampieri.
The complaint was never passed on to Corrective Services – information that could have seen Sampieri’s parole status revoked.
“At this stage, at best, an officer or the organisation potentially has failed to notify the parole board of a potential parole breach,” Mr Fuller said.
“At worst, an officer has neglected their duties to a victim of NSW.”
Last week a senior constable at St George Police Station was stood aside as part of an internal investigation launched by deputy commissioner Jeff Loy.
Corrective Services Minister David Elliott also ordered an urgent briefing, a move supported by the NSW opposition, as to why Sampieri was granted parole.