NSW police have admitted they failed to properly investigate a convicted rapist over lewd phone calls made to a woman just weeks before he allegedly raped a seven-year-old in Kogarah.
Deputy Commissioner Jeff Loy launched an internal investigation over why Anthony Sampieri’s parole was not revoked, after it was revealed the 54-year-old was responsible for the calls ahead of the assault last Thursday.
“Nobody can predict the future or the future action of any person,” Mr Loy said.
“A police officer has a responsibility to take the risk factors at hand, the information about the offender, what victim care is required and make diligent decisions in relation to that.
“It’s my understanding that the offender was identified by police and interviewed, but there was no action taken.”
Police never passed on the complaint to corrective services – information that could have seen his parole revoked.
Mr Loy said the police officers who interviewed Sampieri would receive a fair procedural hearing and an opportunity to explain why no charges were laid.
He added Sampieri was a “danger to the public” and that he had made crude phone calls to several women over a period of weeks.
He urged witnesses to come forward with more information.
Girl allegedly assaulted inside dance studio
Last Thursday, a seven-year-old girl was allegedly physically and sexually assaulted by Sampieri in a toilet inside a dance studio building.
Two other men intervened and one was stabbed several times in the stomach and neck, while the other overpowered him.
Corrective Services Minister David Elliott ordered an urgent briefing as to why Sampieri was granted parole.
“I’m horrified that parole was given to this offender. The matter is now part of a police investigation,” Mr Elliott said.
“The parole board is a completely independent statutory authority. I can only appeal to the Supreme Court if I’m not comfortable with a decision.”
The review was supported by Opposition Leader Michael Daley.
“I know sometimes mistakes are made in the justice system, but a seven-year-old girl, that’s more than just a rudimentary mistake,” he said.
Mr Daley claimed the supervision of parolees had been underfunded for years.