News State NSW News Three hurt as Sydney Harbour ferry and yacht collide

Three hurt as Sydney Harbour ferry and yacht collide

sydney ferry
This is the third incident involving a Sydney ferry this year. Photo: Getty
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

A Manly ferry has crashed into a private yacht in Sydney Harbour.

The collision, involving the ‘Narrabeen’ vessel, happened about 2.40pm on Saturday near Fort Denison. Sydney Ports contacted emergency services to respond.

A New South Wales police media spokesperson told The New Daily there had been no fatalities, but two or three people had sustained minor injuries in the incident.

The spokesperson said ambulance paramedics had attended to the individuals, but could not provide more information about the nature of the injuries.

The two vessels crashed near Fort Denison about 2.30pm on Sunday, throwing two people from the yacht into the water. They were able to climb back onto the yacht after the incident.

The skipper also suffered bruising to his head and leg but remained with the yacht after it was towed to nearby Rushcutters Bay, Detective Chief Inspector Todd Cunningham said.

It’s mast broken and rigging in tatters, the yacht is towed to safety after the collision.

“We’re still investigating the matter … at this stage it’s difficult to tell who was at fault,” he told reporters in Sydney.

“Both the master of the yacht and the ferry were breath tested with a negative result.”

The Manly ferry vessel Narrabeen continued to Manly after the collision.

The yacht was carrying 12 adults and two children at the time but was licensed to hold up to 17, police said.

One man suffered a chest laceration and was treated at the scene, while a woman with a leg injury was taken to hospital in a stable condition along with a man who was experiencing chest pain.

Those who fell overboard were not wearing life jackets, police said.

Chief Insp Cunningham said the collision was an important reminder for all boating enthusiasts to make sure they had access to the right safety equipment.

“Whether you’re in a recreational vessel or a commercial vessel … it’s important to be aware of what’s going on on the water,” he said.

“Especially Sydney Harbour, it’s a busy place – both day and night.”

It’s the third incident involving a Manly ferry in just over three months.

In mid-September, the ‘ Ocean Wave’ vessel hit Manly Wharf at low speed, leaving four or five people with minor injuries.

At the time, the company said it was not clear how the accident happened and crew would be tested for alcohol and drugs.

At the beginning of December, a packed Manly ferry crashed into Circular Quay and two people were injured.

The ferry company has been contacted for comment.


View Comments