News State NSW News Teen accused of Anzac Day terror plot refused bail

Teen accused of Anzac Day terror plot refused bail

ABC
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

A Sydney teenager accused of planning an Anzac Day terror attack will remain in juvenile detention after a magistrate decided it was too risky to release him.

The 16-year-old was refused bail on Thursday by Parramatta magistrate Christine Haskett, who highlighted the seriousness of the accusations and the need to protect the community.

Taking into account the fact he had been in a de-radicalisation program when he was arrested, she said there was a risk he would flee or strike out if released.

Prakash’s death a ‘huge blow for Islamic State’
• Charged teen ‘in deradicalisation program’

“I consider there would be an unacceptable risk of the applicant committing further serious offences,” Ms Haskett told the Parramatta Children’s Court.

The teenager’s mother, flanked by other family members, wept as the magistrate delivered her decision.

Lawyer Zemarai Khatiz said he would appeal the judgment in the Supreme Court.

The boy has been in custody since April 24 after allegedly trying to source a gun and a bomb manual in preparation for an Anzac Day terror attack.

Among the evidence relied on by prosecutors to block bail were transcripts of online conversations between the teenager and undercover police operatives in the days preceding Anzac Day.

He allegedly repeatedly asked for a gun or instructions to make a bomb in time for April 25 so he could “terrorise” infidels on Anzac Day.

Police also found a handwritten note in his bedroom calling for Sharia law, and an Islamic State propaganda video on his phone that depicted execution-style killings by beheading and gunshot.

The boy’s case is due to return to court next month.

-AAP

Comments
View Comments