A man has been charged with murder after another man, suspected of breaking into a Newcastle home, died in hospital.
Police received reports of three men fighting on Cleary Street, Hamilton, about 3.30am on Saturday and arrived to find two men, aged 33 and 32, detaining a 34-year-old.
Officers said they were told the man had broken into a home.
The 34-year-old lost consciousness and was taken to the John Hunter Hospital in a critical condition.
He was taken off life support about 11:30am on Sunday.
The 33-year-old was charged with murder on Sunday afternoon; he had previously been charged with recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm.
He will appear in the Newcastle Bail Court on Monday morning.