News State NSW News Gunman dead, three freed after triple shooting

Gunman dead, three freed after triple shooting

Emergency services are on scene.
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Three people have been seen leaving a Sydney industrial business after during six-and-a-half-hour police siege following a triple shooting, according to reports.

Police said the gunman was found with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Earlier on Monday, a 43-year-old man was shot dead and two other men were allegedly injured by a gunman who remained inside the building.

Tactical operations unit police and the public order and riot squad surrounded signage business Inline, situated at an industrial estate on Heald Road, Ingleburn, in Sydney’s south-west after reports of a shooting at about 10:45am (AEDT).

• ‘IS’ truck bomb kills 60 in Iraq
• New MH370 clue appears
• CommBank under fire for ‘staff treatment’

One man was arrested at the scene for allegedly hindering police, but it was understood the gunman was holed up inside the building.

NSW police confirmed during a press conference that one man, 43, had died, while two other men had been taken to Liverpool Hospital with gunshot wounds – one had been shot in the leg and the other in the shoulder.

A Liverpool Hospital spokeswoman said both men were now in a stable condition.

It is believed there are several people still in the complex but police would not confirm if there were any hostages.

“On arrival police found three males, one deceased and two others with gunshot wounds,” Detective Inspector Mark Brett from Macquarie Fields Local Area Command told a media conference.

“Two men with gunshot wounds have been conveyed to Liverpool Hospital. One is undergoing emergency surgery, the other has superficial wounds to the lower part of his body.”

Multiple businesses in the area have been evacuated, while members of the public were being warned to stay away.

Police said they do not believe the shooting is terrorism related.

A NSW police spokeswoman said it was a “live situation” and officers were still trying to confirm details.

Tactical Police are on scene.
Tactical police are on scene. Photo: AAP

‘Nearby workers heard gunshots’

Witnesses from other nearby businesses said they heard five gunshots ring out on Monday morning.

An employee at a nearby business said police warned workers to keep away from the building.

“Police told us not to go near windows,” the employee said.

A man who worked in the building complex where the shooting took place said he heard a loud bang, which he later realised was a gunshot.

He said police then evacuated his office and others in the building.

The man said he was sheltering with about 30 other people at a nearby business under police protection.

Rogan Burns, a logistics manager who also worked nearby said the entertainment agency he works for was about 50m from where the shootings took place.

He said the whole area was in lockdown.

“My colleague actually left to go and get the boss a cake for his birthday and the police came screaming in in the vehicles and yeah just told everyone to get back inside their factories,” he said.

There were reports that the incident was domestic related, according to Sydney’s 2GB radio.

New South Wales Ambulance said it received reports of a shooting at about 10.45am on Monday.

People that are believed to be friends of a shooting victim arrive at Liverpool Hospital.
People that are believed to be friends of a shooting victim arrive at Liverpool Hospital. Photo: AAP


with AAP/ABC, and reporting by Kaitlin Thals 

View Comments