The death of a 19-year-old man found critically injured on a southern Sydney street is being treated as suspicious.
The teenager was found lying in Price Lane, Riverwood just before 1am on Wednesday but police say he was not shot or stabbed.
A large crime scene includes the area where the man was found, as well as a telephone box where someone made a triple zero call.
The telephone box is about 50 metres away from Price Lane, which is cordoned off by police tape.
Detectives have dusted the phone booth for fingerprints to try to determine who made the emergency call.
Inspector Scott Bingham has appealed for that person to come forward.
“We are very, very hopeful that person will re-contact police,” he told reporters in Sydney on Wednesday.
Two people are assisting police with the investigation.
“Those witnesses actually walked down the lane and came across the male as he was lying on the road way,” Insp Bingham said.
One performed first aid while the other called triple zero.
Insp Bingham said police were in contact with a family member to establish where the 19-year-old had been before he was injured.
He couldn’t comment on the extent of the man’s injuries but said detectives had ruled out a stabbing or shooting.
He couldn’t say whether any weapons or other significant items had been recovered from the scene.
The man’s name has not been released because police are trying to contact his family.