Controversial Auburn City Council Deputy Mayor Salim Mehajer will be charged over allegations of electoral fraud.
Federal police said court attendance notices had been served on eight people in Sydney for alleged electoral fraud offences.
The AFP said it received information from the Australian Electoral Commission in August 2012.
Local council elections were held in New South Wales the following month.
In comments reported by the Sunday Telegraph, Mehajer denied the allegations.
The ABC has contacted Mehajer for comment.
The AFP has issued a statement saying a 29-year-old man from Lidcombe and a 25-year-old Merrylands woman would be charged with using forged documents and producing a false or misleading document.
It said the maximum penalty for the offences is 10 years in jail.
Six others are facing charges of producing a false or misleading document, with a maximum penalty of two years.
All eight are scheduled to appear in Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court on February 2, 2016.
Mehajer made headlines and was fined $220 for shutting down a street in Lidcombe for his lavish weekend wedding in August.
The Deputy Mayor angered neighbours when he closed down the street and sent flyers via a letterbox drop warning residents that their cars would be towed if they got in the way.
In September, Mehajer refused calls for his resignation from Auburn Council, amid claims he had a conflict of interest as a developer on council.
At an extraordinary meeting, councillors said they had received hundreds of phone calls, emails and Facebook comments about the Deputy Mayor.
In October, Mehajer was banned from a gym after allegedly threatening to find out where the father of a Lindt cafe survivor lived and kidnap his children.
Mehajer is accused of intimidating behaviour towards Bruce Herat.
Police charged him with intimidation and also served him with an Apprehended Violence Order.