News State NSW News Two outlaw bikies killed in Picton shooting

Two outlaw bikies killed in Picton shooting

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Two members of outlaw motorcycle gangs have died, one after being shot at a service station in Picton, south-west of Sydney.

The first man, understood to be Darren Wallace, was shot dead in what police have described as a targeted attack at the Shell service station on Argyle Street about 12:25pm.

Witnesses said he pleaded with the gunmen for his life.

• Police investigate double deaths
• Police harassment report due
 Greens MP defends $3k taxpayer trip

Heavily armed police then began searching the street around the service station for the gunman and a body was found nearby.

His cause of death is unknown but police said the men were known to each other.

Police said they believe the shooting at Picton was a targeted attack. Photo: ABC

Detective Superintendent Wayne Benson later confirmed that both men were bikies.

“Both deceased persons were members of an outlaw motorcycle gangs and known to each other. I can’t confirm which gang they were a part of,” he said.

He said police did not shoot the second bikie.

Detective Superintendent Benson said there was no longer any threat to the community.

“I am satisfied that the community here in Picton is safe and that we are no longer involved in the search for any person involved in these matters,” he said.

Detective Superintendent Benson would not be drawn on the possibility of revenge attacks.

“Whether there is any retaliation or not, I can’t confirm other than to say that the NSW Police force will be monitoring as we do on a daily basis any incidents around the state,” he said.

Heavily armed police patrol the Shell service station.
Heavily armed police patrol the Shell service station. Photo: ABC

The attack was being investigated by Camden LAC and the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad.

Police set up a perimeter around the petrol station and closed a large section of the town as they searched for the gunmen.

Argyle Street has since reopened.

Witness Jake Taylor said he was in a pub when he heard a loud bang.

“I looked over and he was laying on the ground with a pool of blood around him, then the girls from Subway came out and they were all just panicking and crying,” he said.

“Then everybody started running up and they called the cops and the cops came down.”

Mr Taylor said the alleged attacker, “had tattoos all down his arms and he had a ponytail”.

Witness Ron Davies said he also heard a loud bang.

“It didn’t really sound like a gunshot, just a loud bang,” he said.

“I noticed the female ambulance officer was distressed. Shootings don’t happen in Picton.”

The NSW Department of Education confirmed Picton High School was in lockdown at the time and said the nearby Picton Primary School took precautions to protect the safety of students.

Worried parents gathered outside local schools, and officers advised the public to avoid the area.

Several patrol cars were at the scene of the incident, as were paramedics.

Train services on the Southern Highlands line were suspended because of the police operation in Picton, transport authorities said.

View Comments